REVIVE - 9 Step Diabetes Training Program | 14 CEs
ReVIVE Integrated Diabetes Training Program
9 Steps to Living Better With Type 1 diabetes
Diabetes is a demanding disease that can create a host of emotional, behavioral and management burdens. Many times, troubling diabetes-related feelings and beliefs, and experiences of shame and failure occur that can prevent people from living comfortably with their disease and engaging effectively in life saving diabetes self-care.
Studies show that a person’s emotions and beliefs about their diabetes are interconnected with their self-management . Thus, feelings, beliefs and disease management are intertwined within the individual. Furthermore, studies show that interventions are most effective when they address the “whole person,” not just management alone. To date, however, most interventions target only a part of the person – their management, knowledge or behavior.
ReVIVE is a one-of-a-kind, practical 9-Step program that provides effective intervention strategies that address the whole person and the interconnected components linked with living healthfully with diabetes. ReVIVE is a flexible, integrated program that addresses the diabetes-related feelings, beliefs and management practices that enable a focus on person-centered care
ReVive Diabetes Training Program Includes:
- Four 1.5 hour training sessions (6.0 CEs)
- Quarterly 1 hour follow-up sessions
- Five bonus courses worth 9.0 CEs
- Dedicated Resource Page with certified tools - Click Resource Page Here
Whether you are a diabetes novice or expert, we invite you to this attend this novel program that provides the essential steps to address diabetes distress (emotions, feelings beliefs) and self-care difficulties to help get glucose to target. You don’t need to have expertise in diabetes technology or devices to join this course or to utilize these new strategies.
ReVIVE uses an integrated, evidence-based approach to provide health care professionals with a realistic 9-step approach to addressing the whole person, starting with emotional distress and incorporating a unique, but integrated approach to problem solving management difficulties.
Join us to gain the confidence and learn the skills needed to support people with diabetes in discovering their own expertise.
ReVIVE 9-Step Training Program for Health Care Professionals:
4 sessions – Each 1 ½ hours (15-minute Q&A included)
Session 1 – What is Diabetes Distress, and what do we know about it?
- How does diabetes distress affect self-care?
- How is diabetes distress different from depression?
- How can diabetes distress be assessed practically in clinical care?
Session 2 - Using REVIVEs 9-step approach to address distress and support behavior change
- Specific tools to enhance effective communication strategies to address diabetes distress.
- Four practical steps to address diabetes distress as a barrier to self-care.
Session 3 – Finding the Expert Within – four steps to help individuals discover their expertise to improve glucose and feelings of self-efficacy.
- Reviewing the diabetes knowledge
- Establishing a diabetes toolkit
- How to determine if basal insulin is right
- Discovering the impact of diet, exercise, stress, insulin, etc. on glucose levels.
- How to evaluate insulin to carb ratios and correction factors without fancy formulas.
Session 4 – Using REVIVE’s 9 Step approach to integrate the Whole Person Intensive Case Study (1.5 hours)
- Exploring glucose patterns and identifying problems
- Using an integrated log sheet as a powerful tool to identify what needs fixing: pattern recognition.
- Case reviews that exemplify common glucose problems and enhance problem solving skills.
- Utilizes the person’s distress profile to better anticipate and respond to barriers and setbacks.
- A comprehensive set of assessment tools, educational materials, log sheets and resources - Resource Page
- 14.0 CEs
- Support sessions once a Quarter with all instructors
Bonus Courses- Optional Content worth 9.5 CEs
These optional bonus courses are designed to provide attendees with additional information to expand knowledge and acquire additional CEs.
This course is an essential review for anyone in the field of diabetes. Join Coach Beverly as she summarizes the 2022 updates to the American Diabetes Association’s Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes and provides critical teaching points and content for health care professionals involved in diabetes care and education.
- A review of changes and updates to the 2022 ADA Standards of Medical Care
- Identification of key elements of the position statement
- Discussion of how diabetes specialists can apply this information in their clinical setting
This course integrates the ADA Standard of Care on elements of a comprehensive medical assessment (Standard 4) of the individual living with prediabetes, diabetes, or hyperglycemia. Through case studies and real-life situations, we discover often hidden causes of hyperglycemia and other complications, such as liver disease, sleep apnea, pancreatitis, autoimmune diseases, fractures, and more.
- Identify common yet often underdiagnosed complications associated with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
- State strategies to identify previously undiscovered diabetes complications during assessments.
- Discuss links between hyperglycemia and other conditions including, transplant, cystic fibrosis and liver disease.
During this webinar, Coach Beverly addresses each of these glucose mysteries and more, using a person-centered approach. She describes a stepwise approach to evaluate glucose patterns and correct common issues encountered by people living with type 1 diabetes.
- Describe common glucose mysteries encountered by people with type 1 diabetes.
- Using a stepwise approach, evaluate factors affecting glucose patterns.
- State interventions to increase time-in-range and improve quality of life.
Determining basal and bolus rates for multiple daily injections or insulin pumps can seem overwhelming. This course provides participants with a step-by-step approach to determine basal rates, bolus ratios and how to problem solve when blood glucose levels aren’t on target. During this course, Coach Beverly provides abundant case studies to give participants hands-on practice and build confidence when calculating insulin doses for a variety of situations.
- Describe using formulas to determine appropriate insulin dosing.
- Discuss strategies to determine and fine-tune basal insulin dose
- Describe how to determine and fine-tune bolus rates including coverage for carbs and hyperglycemia.
- Using a case study approach, utilize calculations to determine the best insulin dosing strategy.
We have included this course is an introduction to the abundance of medications available to treat type 2 diabetes. Plus, many people with type 1 diabetes may be taking these medications. We explore the different classes of diabetes medications including action, considerations, and side effects. Case studies help students with problem-solving and immediate application of this complex topic.
- Describe the main action of the different categories of type 2 diabetes medications
- Discuss strategies to determine the right medication for the right patient
- List the side effects and clinical considerations of each category of medication
- State how to use ADA Medication algorithm to improve care
Instructors: Beverly Thomassian RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM is a working educator and a nationally recognized diabetes expert for over 25 years. She is an Associate Clinical Professor at UCSF and Founder of Diabetes Education Services.
The use of DES products does not guarantee the successful passage of the CDCES exam. CBDCE does not endorse any preparatory or review materials for the CDCES exam, except for those published by CBDCE.