Level 1 | Diabetes Fundamentals | 9+ CEs
One Year Subscription | 6 online courses | Earn 9+ CEs
Join us live beginning January 11, 2022, for our Level 1 | Diabetes Fundamentals live webinar 2022 updates
This bundle is specifically designed for healthcare professionals who want to learn more about diabetes fundamentals for their clinical practice or for those who are studying for the Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (CDCES) exam.
In each webinar, Coach Beverly Thomassian, RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM highlights the critical content of each topic area so you can focus your study time most efficiently. She also launches multiple poll questions that highlight key concepts to help students assess their knowledge and learn the best test-taking strategies.
Each individual online course includes a: video presentation, podcast, practice test, and additional resources. After purchase, you have immediate access to your courses for 1 full year.
Intended Audience: This library of critical information is designed for individuals or groups of diabetes specialists, including RNs, RDs, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Physician Assistants, and other health care providers interested in staying up to date on current practices of care for people with diabetes and preparing for the CDCES Certification Exam.
2022 Live Webinar Updates
This series is designed for health care professionals who are interested in getting started in diabetes education and for those actively working toward becoming a Diabetes Care and Education Specialist. Each course in this series provides the critical building blocks and foundation for those entering the diabetes field.
Testimonial: “No words can express how grateful I am that you share all your knowledge and expertise with those of us who want to be better diabetes educator. I have been a dietitian for 27 years, and experienced the different treatment approaches over those years, but I wanted to update my diabetes skills.” - Josee Derrien, RDN CNSC, CDCES
Courses included in Level 1 Bundle:
Provides an overview of the impact of diabetes in our communities. We compare and contrast prediabetes, type 1, type 2 diabetes LADA and incorporate effective teaching strategies. Diagnostic criteria and risk factor screening are reviewed along with case studies to highlight key points.
- Discuss factors contributing to increased prevalence
- Describe pathophysiological defects associated with the development of diabetes mellitus
- Differentiate the different types: Prediabetes, Type 1, Type 2 and GDM
- Discuss new language guidelines
- Describe the impact of insulin resistance
Reviews the latest national nutrition guidelines and provides strategies to translate this information to our individual patients. We delve into the recent exercise recommendations and provide realistic strategies to help keep patients active and engaged.
- Discuss Self-management strategies
- Listing Nutrition Guidelines for patients
- Describe current MNT recommendations
- List 3 teachings strategies for success
- State ADA Exercise Guidelines highlights
- Discuss goals and safety precautions for diabetes and exercise
An overview of the effective use of insulin therapy to improve glucose control is discussed. Course content incorporates the new ADA insulin guidelines and Standards of Care. Content includes a review of pattern management and formulas to calculate basal bolus insulin therapy.
- Discuss the actions of different insulins
- Describe pattern management as an insulin adjustment tool
- State how to Incorporate national guidelines into practice
- Using basal/bolus insulin therapy to improve glucose control from hospital to home
- Discuss glucose pattern and adjustment strategies
An introduction to the abundance of medications available to treat type 2 diabetes. We explore the different classes of diabetes medications including action, considerations and side effects. Case studies help students with problem solving and immediate application of this complex topic.
- Describe the main action of the different categories of type 2 diabetes medications
- Discuss strategies to determine the right medication for the right patient
- List the side effects and clinical considerations of each category of medication
- State how to use ADA Medication algorithm to improve care
This course is an essential review for anyone in the field of diabetes. We highlight the goals of care the American Diabetes Association’s Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes and provide critical teaching points and updates for health care professionals involved in diabetes care and education.
- State 3 determinants of health and how they can impact diabetes self-care.
- List steps to address prediabetes
- Describe goals of care for glucose, heart disease, pediatrics and older adult
- Discuss standards and goals for lower extremity care
Causes and strategies to prevent hypoglycemia are discussed. Includes a review of blood glucose monitoring considerations and teaching topics, with a focus on sick day management. Strategies on providing a quick and effective foot and lower extremity assessment are also discussed.
- Discuss risk and prevention of hypoglycemia
- Strategies to get the most out of blood glucose monitoring and technology
- Review sick day management, from hospital to home
- Describe behavior change roadblocks and workarounds
Content Included: Each course includes a video presentation of the webinar with handouts, a podcast version, additional helpful resources, a brief required survey, a practice test, and your CE Certificate once completed.
Instructor: Beverly Thomassian RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM is a working educator and a nationally recognized diabetes expert for over 25 years.
Fee: $109.00 (Group Discounts Available)
All hours earned count toward your CDCES Accreditation Information
All video presentations and podcasts available now On Demand.
Accreditation: Diabetes Education Services is an approved provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider 12640, and Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR), Provider DI002. Since these programs are approved by the CDR it satisfies the CE requirements for the CDCES regardless of your profession.* The use of DES products does not guarantee the successful passage of the CDCES exam. CBDCE does not endorse any preparatory or review materials for the CDCES exam, except for those published by CBDCE.