Level 1 | Diabetes Fundamentals | 9.25 CEs
Level 1 | Diabetes Fundamentals
The Level 1 Bundle offers six courses and a total of 9.25 CEs. A value of $175 for only $109.
With your purchase of our Level 1 - Diabetes Fundamentals, you have instant access to the six On-Demand courses via the Online University, PLUS we have automatically enrolled you in all live webinars presented within the year of your purchase.
Our Level 1 courses have been updated based on the 2021 ADA Standards of Care.
This series is designed for health care professionals who are interested in getting started in diabetes education and for those actively working toward becoming a Diabetes Care and Education Specialist. Each course in this series provides the critical building blocks and foundation for those entering the diabetes field. Plus, they prepare you to advance to our Level 2 Standards of Care Intensive Courses.
Our online courses are interactive and combine lecture, poll questions, and case studies to prepare you for success. The content is designed to immediately advance your clinical practice plus move you toward your goal of achieving a higher level of expertise and comfort when providing diabetes education.
Intended Audience: All of our webinars are knowledge-based activities designed for individual or groups of diabetes educators, including RNs, RDs, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Physician Assistants and other health care providers interested in staying up to date on current practices of care for their patients with diabetes and other related conditions.
Instructor: Beverly Thomassian RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM is a working educator and a nationally recognized diabetes expert for over 25 years.
Testimonial: “No words can express how grateful I am that you share all your knowledge and expertise with those of us who want to be better diabetes educator. I have been a dietitian for 27 years, and experienced the different treatment approaches over those years, but I wanted to update my diabetes skills.” - Josee Derrien, RDN CNSC, CDCES
All hours earned count toward your CDCES Accreditation Information
Courses included in Level 1 Bundle:
Provides an overview of the impact of diabetes in our communities. We compare and contrast prediabetes, type 1, type 2 diabetes LADA and incorporate effective teaching strategies. Diagnostic criteria and risk factor screening are reviewed along with case studies to highlight key points.
- Discuss factors contributing to increased prevalence
- Describe pathophysiological defects associated with the development of diabetes mellitus
- Differentiate the different types: Prediabetes, Type 1, Type 2 and GDM
- Discuss new language guidelines
- Describe the impact of insulin resistance
Reviews the latest national nutrition guidelines and provides strategies to translate this information to our individual patients. We delve into the recent exercise recommendations and provide realistic strategies to help keep patients active and engaged.
- Discuss Self-management strategies
- Listing Nutrition Guidelines for patients
- Describe current MNT recommendations
- List 3 teachings strategies for success
- State ADA Exercise Guidelines highlights
- Discuss goals and safety precautions for diabetes and exercise
An overview of the effective use of insulin therapy to improve glucose control is discussed. Course content incorporates the new ADA insulin guidelines and Standards of Care. Content includes a review of pattern management and formulas to calculate basal bolus insulin therapy.
- Discuss the actions of different insulins
- Describe pattern management as an insulin adjustment tool
- State how to Incorporate national guidelines into practice
- Using basal/bolus insulin therapy to improve glucose control from hospital to home
- Discuss glucose pattern and adjustment strategies
An introduction to the abundance of medications available to treat type 2 diabetes. We explore the different classes of diabetes medications including action, considerations and side effects. Case studies help students with problem solving and immediate application of this complex topic.
- Describe the main action of the different categories of type 2 diabetes medications
- Discuss strategies to determine the right medication for the right patient
- List the side effects and clinical considerations of each category of medication
- State how to use ADA Medication algorithm to improve care
This course is an essential review for anyone in the field of diabetes. We highlight the goals of care the American Diabetes Association’s Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes and provide critical teaching points and updates for health care professionals involved in diabetes care and education.
- State 3 determinants of health and how they can impact diabetes self-care.
- List steps to address prediabetes
- Describe goals of care for glucose, heart disease, pediatrics and older adult
- Discuss standards and goals for lower extremity care
Causes and strategies to prevent hypoglycemia are discussed. Includes a review of blood glucose monitoring considerations and teaching topics, with a focus on sick day management. Strategies on providing a quick and effective foot and lower extremity assessment are also discussed.
- Discuss risk and prevention of hypoglycemia
- Strategies to get the most out of blood glucose monitoring and technology
- Review sick day management, from hospital to home
- Describe behavior change road blocks and work arounds
Fee: $109.00 (Group Discounts Available)
All video presentations and podcasts available now On Demand.
Accreditation: Diabetes Education Services is an approved provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider 12640, and Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR), Provider DI002. Since these programs are approved by the CDR it satisfies the CE requirements for the CDCES regardless of your profession.* The use of DES products does not guarantee the successful passage of the CDCES exam. CBDCE does not endorse any preparatory or review materials for the CDCES exam, except for those published by CBDCE.