Level 3 | DiabetesEd Specialist Boot Camp | 12+ CEs
One Year Subscription | 9 online courses | Earn 12+ CE’s
This bundle is specifically designed for healthcare professionals who are studying for the Board Certified in Advanced Diabetes Management (BC-ADM) or the Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (CDCES) certification exam.
In each webinar, Coach Beverly Thomassian, RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM highlights the critical content of each topic area so you can focus your study time most efficiently. She also launches multiple poll questions that highlight key concepts to help students assess their knowledge and learn the best test-taking strategies.
Each individual online course includes a: video presentation, podcast, practice test, and additional resources. After purchase, you have immediate access to your courses for 1 full year.
All of our topics are filled with clinical pearls and information you can use in your practice setting. We offer a wealth of information for those wanting to take their diabetes knowledge to the next level! The majority of students that take this bundle, go on to pass the exam. Check out our Graduate Success Stories.
Intended Audience: This library of critical information is designed for individuals or groups of diabetes specialists, including RNs, RDs, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Physician Assistants, and other health care providers interested in staying up to date on current practices of care for people with diabetes and preparing for the BC-ADM or the CDCES certification Exam.
Diabetes Specialist Online Boot Camp Live Webinar 2022 Topics - Recorded & Ready for On-Demand Viewing!
- Recorded on February 8, 2022 - Class 1 - Diabetes - Not Just Hyperglycemia 1.75 CEs
- Recorded on February 10, 2022 - Class 2 – Standards of Care & Cardiovascular Goals 1.5 CEs
- Recorded on February 15, 2022 - Class 3 - Insulin Therapy - From Basal/Bolus to Pattern Management 1.5 CEs
- Recorded on February 17, 2022 - Class 4 - Insulin Intensive - Monitoring, Sick Days, Lower Extremities 1.5 CEs
- Recorded on February 22, 2022 - Class 5 - Meds for Type 2 - What you need to know 1.5 CEs
- Recorded on February 24, 2022 - Class 6 - Exercise and Medical Nutrition Therapy 1.5 CEs
- Recorded on March 1, 2022 - Class 7 - Screening, Prevention, and Treatment of Microvascular Complications
- Recorded on March 3, 2022 - Class 8 - Coping and Behavior Change 1.5 CEs
- Recorded on March 8, 2022 - Class 9 - Test-Taking Coach Session (48 Questions) No CE
Diabetes - Not Just Hyperglycemia | 1.75 CEs
Diabetes is complicated! This course starts with a brief introduction to the CDCES Exam content and philosophy. Then we move to discuss the underpinnings of pancreas dysfunction and the different types of diabetes. Insulin resistance is addressed as well as the diagnostic criteria for diabetes.
- Discuss the epidemiology of diabetes
- Differentiate between the different types of diabetes; includingType1, Type 2, LADA, GDM and other causes.
- Describe the natural history of diabetes and diagnostic criteria
- Address the relevance of insulin resistance and CV Disease
Standards of Care and Cardiovascular Goals | 1.5 CEs
Get ready to lead the charge to implement best care practices while preparing for certification. This Boot Camp intensive reviews the glucose goals of care from pediatrics, through pregnancy, during middle age, and for seasoned citizens. We also take a close look at the goals for CV care and strategies to reduce the risk of experiencing CV events. We provide resources for hypertension and lipid medications. We hope you can join us!
- Describe 3 Landmark Diabetes Studies
- List glucose goals for adults, pediatrics, and pregnancy
- Discuss the impact of diabetes on cardiovascular health
- Describe strategies and medications used to decrease the risk of CV events
Insulin Therapy - From Basal/Bolus to Pattern Management | 1.5 CEs
This course reviews the effective use of insulin therapy to improve glucose control. Learn how to look at glucose patterns and determine appropriate insulin adjustment strategies. Also included are formulas to calculate therapy based on national guidelines.
- Discuss the actions of different insulins
- Describe pattern management as an insulin adjustment tool
- State how to calculate insulin needs and determine basal-bolus insulin dosing
- List teaching tools for insulin administration
Insulin Intensive - Monitoring, Sick Days, Lower Extremities | 1.5 CEs
The purpose of this course is to spend focused time reviewing insulin pattern management, dosing strategies, basal-bolus, and carb counting calculations. We explore the ins and outs of monitoring, sick day management, and provide a brief review of hypoglycemia and Hospitalization. This course content will boost your knowledge and confidence in recommending insulin adjustments to patients and providers.
- Determine appropriate insulin dosing
- Calculate insulin sensitivity and carb to insulin ratios
- Consider individual characteristics when determining insulin dosing
- Discuss management of diabetes during sick days and hospitalization
- List the elements involved in a Lower Extremity Assessment
Meds for Type 2 - What you Need to Know | 1.5 CEs
This course highlights the array of oral and injectable medications to treat hyperglycemia for people with type 2 diabetes. We explore clinical issues to consider when determining the best strategy to improve glucose control. We discuss cost, side effects, complexity, and other factors into consideration. We also discuss how to integrate the ADA and AACE algorithms into practice.
- Describe the main action of the different categories of type 2 diabetes medication
- List the side effects and clinical considerations of each category of medication
- Apply the ADA and AACE algorithm to determine the best medication match based on individual characteristics
Exercise and Medical Nutrition Therapy | 1.5 CEs
This course reviews the latest nutrition guidelines and strategies to individualize this information based on assessment. Included is a discussion on weight-loss approaches, metabolic surgery, gastroparesis, and disordered eating.
- Discuss national guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy
- State different meal planning approaches
- Describe gastrointestinal issues associated with diabetes
- Discuss approaches to discussing and supporting weight loss
Screening, Prevention, and Treatment of Microvascular Complications | 1.5 CEs
We review the benefits of exercise and focus on the latest national guidelines for activity, strengthening, and balance. We summarize the impact of chronic hyperglycemia on the eyes, kidneys, nerves, and lower extremities. Included is a discussion on screening guidelines to promote early detection and treatment. We also review the benefits of exercise and focus on the latest national guidelines for activity, strengthening, and balance.
- Identify most common microvascular complications
- Describe modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors for diabetes complications
- List screening guidelines
- Discuss how exercise affects physiology and ADA guidelines
- List precautions a person with diabetes needs to take before, during, and after exercise.
Coping and Behavior Change | 1.5 CEs
This course provides a framework to assess patient barriers and support behavior change. We explore psychosocial issues that may be blocking patients from adopting healthier behaviors and provides strategies to identify and overcome these barriers. We conclude with a review of the major learning theories with a focus on empowerment.
- Discuss the chronic care model
- Describe coping and patient assessment
- List psychosocial, emotional, and life barriers to diabetes self-care
- Discuss strategies to assist patients with individualized coping skills
- Describe behavior change models and approaches
Bonus course: “The Big Finish” Test Taking Boot Camp
Are you almost to the finish line and ready to take the CDCES or BC-ADM exam in the near future?
If yes, this test-taking Diabetes Educator Online Boot Camp is designed for you. First, you take 78 sample questions online. Then you join Coach Beverly for an hour-long webinar to learn how to work through the test questions and get to the right answer! Coach Beverly will go through as many questions as is possible in a one-hour session.
She helps you avoid common traps and provides Insights and tips to increase your confidence and ability to choose the right answer.
Content Included: Each course includes a video presentation of the webinar with handouts, a podcast version, additional helpful resources, a brief required survey, a practice test, and your CE Certificate once completed.
Instructor: Beverly Thomassian RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM is a working educator and a nationally recognized diabetes expert for over 25 years. She is an Associate Clinical Professor at UCSF and Founder of Diabetes Education Services.
Fee: $269 (Group Discounts Available)
The use of DES products does not guarantee the successful passage of the CDCES exam. CBDCE does not endorse any preparatory or review materials for the CDCES exam, except for those published by CBDCE.