Level 4 | Type 2 Diabetes Intensive - 2 CEs
Type 2 Diabetes Intensive - 2 CEs
This 2 hours course provide a detailed overview of the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes, prevention strategies, and cardiovascular risk reduction. In addition, we highlight type 2 treatment approaches including nutrition, activity, oral and injectables medications plus screening and treatment guidelines for micro and macrovascular disease. Through case studies and discussion, we highlight strategies to focus on a person-centered approach along with attention to psychosocial care for people living with diabetes.
- Discuss the current epidemiology of type 2 diabetes.
- Describe the classification, terminology & diagnostic criteria for diabetes.
- Identify the eight pathophysiologic defects associated with the ominous octet.
- Describe evidence and strategies to prevent type 2 diabetes.
- State strategies to implement a person-centered approach to those with diabetes.
- Discuss key aspects of type 2 diabetes management including education, therapeutic lifestyle changes, glucose, lipid and hypertension management plus referrals.
- Understand the overarching principles of management of type 2 DM including.
- Classes of the diabetes medications
- Treatment of dyslipidemia/hypertension
- Screening for, prevention and treatment of microvascular complications
- Psychosocial support
Instructor: Beverly Thomassian RN, MPH, CDCES, has been Board Certified in Advanced Diabetes Management for over 20 years. She is an Associate Clinical Professor at UCSF, a working educator and a nationally recognized diabetes expert.